How to Double Your Creativity
Aug 26, 2021
Who wouldn’t like to be more creative? You might think you have no creativity at all, but that’s untrue. You’re incredibly creative! You created the life you have, even if it was unintentional. Being creative in a more intentional manner is something that most would find beneficial.
Learn these strategies to release and enhance your creativity:
- Try new things. Our thoughts and decisions are largely based on our experiences. Start trying new things.
- For example, if you go skydiving or take a nude painting class for the first time, you’re bound to have a new perspective on the world.
- Look to your past. When have you had your best ideas? John Denver stated that he wrote his best songs after performing a stimulating outdoor activity, such as downhill skiing or flying his airplane.
- It’s common to experience high levels of creativity when the mind is partially engaged, but still free to roam. Situations like mowing the grass or taking a shower would meet the criteria.
- Embrace austerity. Life can be way too chaotic. Go camping with nothing but a tent, sleeping bag, and bottle of water. Leave the distractions at home!
- Focus on finding solutions as you fall asleep. Put your subconscious to work for the eight hours you spend sleeping each night.
- Change the location. Have you ever noticed that you think the same thoughts in a given location? You think one way at home. At work, your thought processes are different. If you need to be more creative, try someplace different. Spend the afternoon walking in the woods or sitting at the bookstore.
- A change of scenery can allow you to think new, creative thoughts!
- Choose your moments. While it’s unwise to sit back and wait for inspiration to hit, it’s possible to apply your creative talents during more appropriate circumstances. If you’re sick and grumpy, it’s probably a bad time to brainstorm. But you won’t know unless you try.
- Take advantage of the periods of time when your mind is clear and alert.
- Many believe that movement and creativity are closely linked. Going for a run or playing a round of golf can help get the creative juices flowing. If you need a brilliant solution, try moving your body more.
- Stay up late. Removed from the stimulation and clutter of the day, it’s possible you’ll be more creative in the late hours of the evening. Another possibility is getting up an hour earlier and spending some time in the peace and quiet.
- Listen to music. Einstein claimed listening to Mozart enhanced his creativity. Consider how different types of music impact your thoughts and emotions. Experiment.
- Meditate or get a massage. Anything that relaxes your mind can be beneficial to your creativity. Perhaps you’re only a nap away from an earth-shattering idea.
- Practice visualization. Visualize yourself in unique circumstance, but focus on more than the visual aspects. Hear, see, feel, and smell the situation, too.
- Stretching your brain and using it in new ways can enhance your creativity.
There are many ways to double your creativity. It’s largely a matter of trial and error to see which methods work for you. Whether you want to write the perfect song or solve a problem at work, having a higher level of creativity can only help.
If you are looking for more encouragement and processes to get more creative in your life, check out my book, "Rewrite Your Story, Reshape Your Life" on Amazon here:
Be Blessed and be a Blessing,
Dan Fowler, The Imagination Engineer
*Follow me on Social Media: Facebook - LinkedIn - Instagram
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team. You'r information will not be shared.